Lisa M. Kennedy
Lisa M. Kennedy
- Vegetation dynamics
- Human-environment interaction
- Caribbean, Neotropics, Southern Appalachians, southeastern U.S.
Classes Recently Taught:
- Introduction to Physical Geography, GEOG 1104
- Globalization of Nature, GEOG 5344
- Human Impacts on the Environment, GEOG 5234 See fieldtrip photos of Norton coal mine landscape and Powell River Project.
- Study Abroad (3954)/ Introduction to Physical Geography (1104) in the Dominican Republic
- Bhuta, A.A.R., Kennedy, L.M., Pederson, N. 2009. Climate-radial growth relationships of northern latitudinal range margin longleaf pine (Pinus palustris P. Mill.) in the Atlantic Coastal Plain of southeastern Virginia. Tree-Ring Research 65(2): 105–115.
- Crawford, C.J., and Kennedy, L.M. 2009. Spatial and temporal patterns of tree encroachment into a Southern Appalachian grass/heath bald from tree rings. Natural Areas Journal 29(4): 367–375.
- Gibson, G., Campbell, J., and Kennedy, L.M. 2009. Fifty-one years of shoreline change at Little Lagoon, Alabama. Southeastern Geographer 49(1): 67–83.
- Bhuta, A.A., Kennedy, L.M., Copenheaver, C.A., Sheridan, P.M., and Campbell, J.B. 2008. Boundary-line growth patterns to determine disturbance history of remnant longleaf pine (Pinus palustris P. Mill.) in mixed forests of southeastern Virginia. Journal of the Torrey Botanical Society 135(4): 516–529.
- 2008. Kennedy, L.M., and Horn, S.P. Postfire vegetation recovery in highland pine forests of the Dominican Republic. Biotropica 40(4): 412–421.
- 2008. Kennedy, L.M. and S.P. Horn. A Late Holocene pollen and charcoal record from La Selva Biological Station, Costa Rica. Biotropica 40: 11-16.
- 2006. Kennedy, L.M., S.P. Horn, and K.H. Orvis. A 4000-yr record of fire and forest history from Valle de Bao, Cordillera Central, Dominican Republic. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, and Palaeoecology 231: 271-290.
- 2006. Kennedy, L.M., S.P. Horn, and K.H. Orvis. Modern pollen spectra from the highlands of the Cordillera Central, Dominican Republic. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology 137: 51-68.
- 2006. Horn, S.P. and L.M. Kennedy. Pollen evidence of the prehistoric presence of cattail (Typha: Typhaceae) in Palo Verde National Park, Costa Rica. Brenesia 66: 85–87.
- 2005. Kramar, D., W. Goodale, L.M. Kennedy, L.W. Carstensen, and T. Kaur. Relating land cover characteristics and common loon mercury levels using GIS. Ecotoxicology 14: 253-262.
- 2004. Speer, J.H., K.H. Orvis, H.D. Grissino-Mayer, L.M. Kennedy, and S.P. Horn. Assessing the dendrochronological potential of Pinus occidentalis Swartz in the Cordillera Central of the Dominican Republic. The Holocene 14(4): 563-569.
- 2001. Horn, S.P., L.M. Kennedy, and K.H. Orvis. Vegetation recovery following a high elevation fire in the Dominican Republic. Biotropica 33(4): 701-708.
- 2001 Horn, S.P. and L.M. Kennedy. Pollen evidence of maize cultivation 2700 years ago at La Selva Biological Station, Costa Rica. Biotropica 33: 191-196.
- 2000. Horn, S.P., K.H. Orvis, L.M. Kennedy, and G.M. Clark. Prehistoric fires in the highlands of the Dominican Republic: evidence from charcoal in soils and sediments. Caribbean Journal of Science 36: 10-18.
- 1997. Kennedy, L.M. and S.P. Horn. Prehistoric maize cultivation at the La Selva Biological Station, Costa Rica. Biotropica 29: 368-370.
Grants and Awards:
- National Science Foundation: "Collaborative Research: Long Term Dynamics Of Caribbean Maritime Forest Ecosystems In The Context Of Major Disturbance Events The Role of Hurricanes and Fire," 2010-2013. Investigators: L.M. Kennedy and K.-b. Liu (Louisiana State U.).
- The Nature Conservancy. "Vegetation and Site Analysis for Management of a Southern Appalachian Montane Bald," 2009-2010 .
- Social Sciences and Humanities, Research Council of Canada. "Human Ecodynamics in Barbuda: New Approaches for Caribbean Archaeology," 2010-2011. Investigators: A. Bain, L. Kennedy, M. Burn, D. Pearsall.
- Virginia Academy of Sciences: "Long-term Climate Records from Tree-Rings in Southern Appalachian Balds and Surrounding Woodlands," 2008.
- Center for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Summer Faculty Fellowship: "Restructuring for Improved Engagement in the Introduction to Physical Geography," 2007.
- AdvanceVT Research Seed Grant, Virginia Tech: "Reconstruction of Prehistoric Hurricane Activity in the Eastern Caribbean from Coastal Lake Sediments in the Dominican Republic," 2006.
- Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Grant, National Science Foundation: "Fire-Vegetation Dynamics in Highland Pine Forests of the Dominican Republic: an Investigation at Multiple Time Scales," (with S. Horn, University of Tennessee), 1999.
- Hilton A. Smith Graduate Fellowship, University of Tennessee, 1993-1995.
- 127 Major Williams Hall