GEOG 4394 - Introduction to Web Mapping (Spring semester)
GEOG 5394 - Web Mapping (Spring semester)
- Remote sensing and geospatial informatics
- Biosecurity and epidemiology
- Scientific visualization and virtual reality environments
- Weather and climate
- Complex Systems, Interoperability
- 2013 Montgomery County / Virginia PSAP Grant Program. Geospatial Data Integration and Automation for Montgomery County Regional 911 Center.” PI ($93,276).
- 2013 USDA NIFA “New Detection, Research, and Extension Tools for Managing Wood-Canker Diseases of Fruit and Nut Crops.” Co-PI ($96,842)
- 2013 NTIA / CIT “Native American Broadband GIS.” PI ($151,688).
- 2013 VT Office of International Research and Development “SANREM IV – Agroclimate study”
- 2012 EEE Consulting, Inc. “Development of an Automated Geo-processing Tool for Watershed Analysis”
- 2012. Virginia Tech Office of Equity and Access. Developed a next-generation campus-wide interior/exterior network route dataset for pedestrian and wheelchair accessibility, html5 web app, and maintenance plan. $30,000.
- 2011-2015. USDA NIFA. Improved grape and wine quality in a challenging environment: An eastern US model for sustainability and economic vitality. PI: Tony Wolf; Co-PI: Sforza; total award $3.5M+; CGIT award $310,576
- DOC / NTIA / CIT. Statewide Broadband Mapping Initiative for Virginia. PI: Sforza. $442,551. Jul 1, 2010 - Dec 31, 2014.
- NTIA / CIT. Statewide Broadband Mapping Initiative for Virginia – Mapping Expanded. PI: Sforza. $364,323. Jul 1, 2010 - Dec 31, 2014.
- NTIA / CIT. Statewide Broadband Mapping Initiative for Virginia – Capacity Building. PI: Sforza. $219,800. Jun 30, 2012 - Dec 31, 2014
- FEMA / VDEM. Virginia Hazard Mitigation Plan Update. $100,000. PI: Sforza. May 29, 2012 - Dec 31, 2012.
- FEMA / VDEM. Virginia Tech Hazard Mitigation Plan Update. PI: Sforza $104,402. Sep 21, 2011 - Aug 30, 2013.
- 2011-2013. Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles. Geolocating Virginia Crash Data. PI: Kathleen Hancock, co-PI: Sforza; total award $251,343.
- 2012. Department of Defense, Defense Threat Reduction Agency. Comprehensive National Incident Management System (CNIMS) – Task 1. PI: Chris Barrett. Collaborator: Sforza, amount: $40,000.
- 2012. Virginia Department of Conservation. Development of Nutman Farmer Software. PI: Nick Stone, Subcontract: Sforza, amount $17,119.
- 2012. NC State University. Relationship between Racial Disparities and Food Deserts in Durham County, NC. PI: Sforza. $3481. Feb 6, 2012 - May 11, 2012
- 2010. Virginia Tech VPAS and VTIT. Virginia Tech Interior Space Critical Needs Initiative. $48,000
- 2009. Virginia Vineyards Association. Refinement of Viticulture Suitability and Foundation of Virginia’s Ava’s. PI: Sforza. $18,000
- 2010. VT Center for Community Security and Resilience. Situational Awareness via Video Analytics incorporating video metadata into 3D models. CGIT-IBM Exploratory Video Analytics Research Group. Planning grant: $20,000
- 2009. Virginia Wounded Warriors Program, Department of Veterans Services. A Proposal to Assess the Experiences, Supportive Service Needs and Service Gaps of Veterans within the Commonwealth of Virginia. PI: Mary Beth Dunkenberger. Total award: $40,000; CGIT award $10,000
- 2009. AmericaView. Development Of A Drupal- Based Webportal For The America View Consortium. PI: John McGee. Total award: $8,000
- 2009. Virginia Vineyards Association. High Resolution Vineyard Site Suitability Mapping of Virginia. $22,000. J. Boyer, T. Wolf, and P. Sforza.
- 2009. ASF AADN Data Grant: ALOS-PALSAR for land subsidence measurements in eastern Virginia. P. Sforza and T. Burbey.
- 2007. AmericaView/CaliforniaView. “Interactive web tutorial for remote sensing applications,” $37,000. Pis: James B. Campbell, Randy Wynne, and Peter Sforza.
- 2005. National Geospatial Intelligence Agency (NGA) "Ultra High Resolution Interactive Information Visualization," $497,933. PI: Chris North, L. W. Carstensen Jr. Collaborators: J. B. Campbell and P. Sforza.
- 2004-2007. Virginia Tech Summer Training Academy for Rising Students (VT-STARS). PI: Ed McPherson, Co-PIs: Phil Eisenhour and Peter Sforza. U.S. Department of Education. $397,460.
- 2002-2005. Southern Plant Diagnostic Network – Virginia Diagnostic and Information Technology. PIs: Erik Stromberg and Peter Sforza. Subcontract through UFL, USDA-CSREES 2002-30001-12082. $80,000.
Selected Publications and Presentations:
- Nikita Sharakhov, Nicholas Polys, and Peter Sforza. 2013. SpeedSpy: a mobile Web3D platform for visualizing broadband data. In Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on 3D Web Technology (Web3D '13). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 208-208. DOI=10.1145/2466533.2466566 http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/2466533.2466566
- (Accepted) Peer-reviewed Paper submission to SIGSPATIAL MapInteract 2013. N Sharakhov, N Polys, P Sforza. GeoSpy: a Web3D Platform for Geospatial Visualization.
- Schutt, Kyle, Joseph Newman, Kathleen Hancock, and Peter Sforza. “CARL: Crash Attribute and Reference Locator”. COM.Geo 2013. The Fairmont Hotel. San Jose, CA. July 24, 2013. Peer Reviewed Paper Session. Publication in ACM Library is Pending.
- Adams, E., Newman, J., Layman, M., Sforza, P. (2013, July). Automating Map Production for the Virginia Broadband Mapping Initiative. Paper session. Data Driven Cartography session. ESRI International User Conference, San Diego, CA.
- Schutt, K., Polys, N. and Sforza, P. (2013, July). Accessing Parallel Computing Resources from ArcGIS 10.0. Processing Large Datasets session. ESRI International User Conference, San Diego, CA.
- Adams, E., Dickerson, T., Sforza, P. (2013, July). Optimizing measurement of 4G LTE Broadband Access in Virginia. Map Gallery poster presented at the ESRI International User Conference, San Diego, CA.
- Sforza, P., Staton, C., Schutt, K., Dickerson, T. “Linking Location Based Social Networks and Internet based Video Cameras. 2013 UGCIS Symposium. Collaboration Across Communities: GIScience 2.0 and Beyond.
- Newman, Joseph, Hancock, Kathleen PE, PhD, Sforza, Peter. “Integrating Location into Crash Analysis and Mitigation Strategies”. American Association of Geographers. 2013. Crime Modeling and Mapping Special Session. Los Angeles, CA. April 12, 2013. Conference Presentation.
- Sforza, P. Geometric and Semantic Modeling of Subterranean Features. Invited briefing at Subterranean Operations—Trends, Challenges and Cooperation Research Study. Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation study sponsored by ARMY REF. January 8-9, 2013. Arlington, Virginia.
- Sforza, P. 2012. Creating and Sustaining Digital Cities. CityWorks (X)po. Roanoke, VA. Oct 18-20. (presentation). http://www.cityworksxpo.com
- Polys, N. and Sforza, P. 2012 3D Blacksburg Novel LOD Mechanism. Editors: Arne Schilling, Benjamin Hagedorn, Volker Coors. Open Geospatial Consortium. OGC 3D Portrayal Interoperability Experiment Final Report. OGC Report # 12-075. https://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=49758
- Sforza, P. Satellite-Art. Pecha Kucha Night Southwest Virginia. http://youtu.be/M0NAzmcavWE
- Virginia Association for Mapping and Land Information Systems (VAMLIS). Sep 10, 2012. Charlottesville, VA. Conference Presentations: https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B-K5YhR7ZI0vQ25zM2dGUUhxeUk/edit?docId=0B-K5YhR7ZI0vbXNtUE4zMGlHNEU:
- P Miller and P Sforza. Hitting The GIS Jackpot: Spatial Analysis of the Virginia Lottery.
- J Newman, T Dickerson, P Sforza, and K Hancock. Police Reported Vehicle Crash Distribution Analysis in Virginia.
- L Franklin and P Sforza. A Strategic Analysis & Prioritization of Hazardous Waste Generator Inspection Plans for DEQ.
- Sforza and K Schutt. I Can See You Tweet Demonstration the Fusion of Webcams and Location Based Services.
- P Sforza. Development of Planning & Analysis Tools for Virginia’s Broadband Mapping Initiative.
- B Logan and P Sforza. Reliability Maps as GIS Indices for Suggesting Wine Vineyard Success in the Eastern United States.
- Dan Tilden, Ankit Singh, Nicholas F. Polys, and Peter Sforza. 2011. Multimedia mashups for mirror worlds. In Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on 3D Web Technology (Web3D '11). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 155-164. DOI=10.1145/2010425.2010453 http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/2010425.2010453
- Sforza, Peter, Dickerson, Thomas, Shelton, Jason. 2011. Interior space GIS: a foundation for campus-wide planning and management. Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Computing for Geospatial Research & Applications. Washington, DC. (abstract) http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=1999320.1999360
- Shelly, D., Dunlop, M., Marchany, R., and Sforza, P. 2010. Using geographic information systems for enhanced network security visualization. In Proceedings of the 1st international Conference and Exhibition on Computing For Geospatial Research & Application (Washington, D.C., June 21 - 23, 2010). COM.Geo '10. ACM, New York, NY, 1-8. DOI= http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1823854.1823872
- Paul Knox, Jim Bohland, Link Elmore, Peter Sforza, and Larry Shumsky. 2011. Dynamics of an Urban Health Care System: Case of San Francisco 1880 to 1930. 2011 Annual Meeting of the American Association of Geographers. Seattle, WA. (Presentation)
- Sforza, P. Artist and Coordinator, “FloydFest from Space.” 2011. http://satellite-art.com/floydfest/
- Peter Sforza, Tom Heinrichs, Rick Lawrence, Kevin Dobbs, and Sam Batzli. AmericaView and Emergency Management. 2011 Annual Meeting of the American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing. Milwaukee, WI. (Presentation)
- Mintai Kim, Peter Sforza, Song Liu, Suk-Hwan Hong. 2010. Comparison of Ecological Trends of Two Cities Experiencing Population Decrease and Increase: Case Study of Richmond, Virginia and Raleigh, North Carolina. Landscape Legacy: Landscape Architecture and Planning: Between Art and Science. Maastricht, the Netherlands, May 12-14, 2010.
- Sforza, P. 2009. Nighttime Imagery for Public Safety and Lighting Applications. American Society of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing 2009 Annual Conference. March 11, 2009. Baltimore, MD.
- Wallingford, A., D. Pfeiffer, S. Tolin, and P. Sforza. Determining the Threat of Pierce's Disease to Virginia Vineyards. Entomological Society of America Annual Meeting. November 16-19, 2008. Reno, Nevada.
- Sforza, P. 2008. Geospatial Information Technologies and Remote Sensing for Infectious Disease Research. Dean's Forum on Infectious Diseases. September 28-29, 2009. Virginia Tech.
- Coordinator, Hokies Thank the World. 2007. http://www.vt.edu/thank_the_world/
- Sforza, P. 2007. Nighttime Oblique Aerial Prototype. In: Campbell , James B. & Vincent V. Salomonson . 2009 . Remote sensing— a look to the future . Chapter 25 in Manual of Geospatial S cience and T echnology. (.J. Bossler, ed.) (2nd edition. ). London: Taylor and Francis.
- Sforza, P. and J. B. Campbell. 2006-2009. VirginiaView Atlas of Virginia. A collection of maps and data layers for Virginia featuring remotely sensed imagery. Maps can be viewed as layered PDFs, ESRI MXDs, or PNGs.
- Crooks, T., P. Sforza, S. Theirl. 2004. “AmericaView Soybean Rust White Paper.” Special report prepared by AmericaView for USDA-APHIS on the opportunities for remote sensing in U.S. Agricultural biosecurity.
- Sforza, P. and L.W. Carstensen. 2004. "National Elevation Data for Slope and Aspect Calculations in ArcGIS." The Virginia Geospatial Newsletter, Volume 2, Number 2, 10-11.
- Futrell, M. and P. Sforza. 2004. "Converting VBMP Digital Terrain Model to a Digital Elevation Model for Raster Analysis Applications." The Virginia Geospatial Newsletter, Volume 2, Number 3, 9-10.
- Sforza, P., R. Wynne, S. Popescu, and Z. Bortolot. 2004. "The power of 3-dimensional visualization and immersive virtual environments for improving lidar processing algorithms." In Proceedings of the ASPRS 2004 Annual Conference. Denver, CO. May 23-28.
- Sforza, P. 2003. "The biocomplexity of barley yellow dwarf disease." In Mathematical Modeling of the Spread of Agricultural Bioterrorism Agents – Summary of an Open Conference. Scientific and Technical Intelligence Committee, National Intelligence Council. September 16-17, 2003. The MITRE Corporation, McClean, VA.
- Sforza, P., S. Moore, and E.L. Stromberg 2003. Visualization of Wheat Virus Epidemiology in Virginia. ESRI Spatial Farmer Newsletter. Spring 2003. Page 6.
- Sforza, P., S. Moore, E.L. Stromberg, and D.A. Herbert. 2001. Using a geographic information system as a tool to improve the integrated management of barley yellow dwarf in Virginia wheat. Phytopathology 91: S81. Publication no. P-2001-0587-AMA.
- Sforza, P. and A. Baudoin. 2000. Latent Period, Incubation, Incubation Period. The Encyclopedia of Plant Pathology. John Wiley and Sons, Inc. Pp. 569-570 and pp. 606-607.
- Sforza, P. and K. K. Hatzios. 2000. Development of 3-D animations and virtual reality environments for teaching in weed science and agricultural pest management. Phytopathology 90:S71. Publication no. P-2000-0506-AMA.
- Sforza, P. M., S. A. Tolin, and E. L. Stromberg. 2000. Survey of a farm in Henrico County, Virginia for reservoirs of barley yellow dwarf viruses using ELISA. Phytopathology 90:S133. Publication no. P-2000-0018-PTA.
- Sforza, P. M., C. W. Roane, and K. K. Hatzios. 2000. History of plant pathology in Virginia: A 110-year chronology. Phytopathology 90:S133. Publication no. P-2000-0017-PTA.
- Sforza, P. M., E.S. Hagood, and E.L. Stromberg. 1999. Effect of transgene Bt toxin and applications of tefluthrin, azoxystrobin and propiconazole on yield and agronomic characters of near-isoline double-cropped corn in Virginia. Phytopathology 89: S101.
Selected Honors and Awards:
2013 Governor’s Award - Innovative Use of Technology in Modeling and Simulation – Extending VA’s Broadband Toolkit
2013 2nd Place in 2013 StartUp Weekend Roanoke (LittleBro.co)
2012 GAP50 Entrepreneur Award Finalist, Center for Innovative Technology.www.gap50.com
2012 3rd Place in 2012 StartUp Weekend Blacksburg (Orzup.com)
2012 Finalist in 2012 Hokie Health Code-A-Thon (HypochondriApp.org)
2011 Award for Innovative Organizational Model, VT Converged Technologies for Security, Safety and Resilience
2011 XCaliber Award at Virginia Tech for excellence as an individual involved in teaching with technology
- 2060 Torgersen Hall