Why Virginia Tech’s Department of Geography? Apply Online Now
We are a student-centered department with 18 faculty members and a full-time professional academic advisor all committed to seeing you succeed. We have award winning instructors who teach exciting classes at the cutting edge of geographical, geospatial, and meteorological sciences. Our faculty are heavily research active and regularly publish in scientific journals and compete for research grant funding. The MS is our highest degree offered in Geography. You will receive lots of personal attention and opportunities to participate in research with our accomplished faculty as part of your thesis work; or, you may choose an independent project but one that would be mentored by your faculty advisor. Our graduates find successful placement in the private, public, and non-profit sectors and some successfully opt to pursue a Ph.D..
· Current course offerings can be found on the Time Table of Classes
Why the M.S. in Geography? Apply Online Now
· Geography Occupational Data (from Bureau of Labor Statistics)
· Geospatial Revolution (trailer and access to full set of videos)
We offer a selected number of Graduate Teaching Assistantships.
· Full tuition remission and a $16,000 9-month stipend for two years.
· Teaching Assistant duty for 20 hours/week.
Individual faculty may have external grant funding to support students as a Research Assistant. Contact faculty of interest to inquire.
Application Process Apply Online Now
· Visit faculty websites to identify those with common interests and contact them to discuss your interest in VT Geography.
· Arrange a visit to the department (if possible); Graduate Director Luke Juran or a faculty member you are interested in can help arrange.
· Complete the Graduate School’s online application.
Advice and Tips on Application
· VT’s Graduate School Admissions site.
· We pay careful attention to the “Academic and Professional Goals Statement”. Take care to address these questions:
Why do you want to attend graduate school?
How has your background prepared you for graduate study?
Why are you interested in obtaining a master's degree in geography?
Why did you choose the Department of Geography at Virginia Tech?
What field or fields of research in geography interest you the most and why?
Which professor or professors in our department have interests most similar to yours? What are your career goals?
· Reference letters: Ideally at least two of the three letters must be from faculty members. If you have not been a student recently, letters from employers are acceptable.
· GRE scores are required.
· TOEFL scores are required of all international students whose first language is not English, except for thos who have graduated from an accredited university where English is the language of instruction.
· In addition to the Graduate School, you must also send the following directly to the Department of Geography (address below):
Two copies of your official transcripts
A writing sample, such as a research paper.
· Deadlines: Feb. 15 to receive full consideration for a Graduate Teaching Assistantship (GTA), though applications can be submitted and will be accepted after Feb 15.
Address for mailing materials to the Department :
Graduate Director contact:
Department of Geography