James B. Campbell
I teach Geography, focusing on Remote Sensing, Geomorphology, and Spatial Statistics. In partnership with colleagues and students, I have contributed to teaching, research, and outreach programs at Virginia Tech:
1. Teaching: In my first years at Virginia Tech, I established one of the nation’s early courses in remote sensing, and collaborated with faculty in other departments to strengthen remote sensing instruction at Virginia Tech. I am author of a leading text (currently in its 5th edition), now widely used in the US, Canada, and overseas, to introduce remote sensing to university students. Graduate students who have studied under my supervision have received academic awards from Virginia Tech, and from professional societies, for their scholarship, teaching, and research. My contributions to advising students have been recognized by award of Virginia Tech’s Alumni award for academic advising.
2. Research: My research, often in collaboration with colleagues and graduate students, has made important contributions, often applying remote sensing analysis, including some recognized by awards. Recent research includes:
- Agricultural systems, including application of remote sensing to assess broad-scale tillage assessment, crop rotation patterns, and changes in length of growing season;
- Impacts of conflict upon agricultural systems in Iraq 1990-1991;
- Urban agriculture and ecology - physical, social, ecological, dimensions of urban food production and phenological patterns within urban landscapes.
3. Outreach: In collaboration with students, and colleagues, I have contributed to activities, such as the Virginia Science Festival and Kid’s Tech University, that introduce children, students, and the public to basics of remote sensing and geospatial data in general through interactive displays and activities. We have been active also in supporting career day activities in southwestern Virginia High School and Middle Schools.
- Soil and Landscape Variability
- Land Use / Land Cover Change
- Image Processing and Analysis
- Coastal Reclamation
- GEOG/GEOS/CSES 3304 Geomorphology
- GEOG/GEOS 4354 Introduction to Remote Sensing
- GEOG/GEOS 5354 Advanced Remote Sensing
- GEOG/FOR 5104 Seminar in GIS and Remote Sensing
- GEOG 5034 Analysis of Spatial Data
Books and Monographs:
- Campbell, J.B., and R.H. Wynne. 2011. Introduction to Remote Sensing. New York: Guilford. (5th ed.). 667 p.
- Campbell, J.B. 1996-2007. Introduction to Remote Sensing. New York: Guilford. (eds. 1-4) (1987, 1996, 2002, 2007).
- Campbell, J. B. (editor). 2010. Remote Sensing Section (Chapters 16-25) of Manual of Geospatial Science and Technology. (J. D. Bossler, general editor). (2nd Ed.). London: Taylor & Francis.
- Hole, F., and J. B. Campbell. 1985. Soil Landscape Analysis. Totowa, N.J.: Rowman & Allanheld. 196 p.
- Campbell, J.B. 1983. Mapping the Land: Aerial Imagery for Land Use Information. AAG Resource Publications in Geography. Washington, D.C.: 96 p.
- Campbell, J. B. 2010. Information Extraction from Remotely Sensed Data. Chapter 19 in Manual of Geospatial Science and Technology (J. D. Bossler, ed.). (2nd ed.). London: Taylor & Francis. pp. 363-389.
- Campbell, J. B. and V. V. Salomonsen. 2010. Remote Sensing—A Look to the Future. Chapter 25 in Manual of Geospatial Science and Technology (J. D. Bossler, general editor). (2nd ed.). London: Taylor & Francis. pp. 487-509.
- Campbell, J. B. 2009. Remote Sensing of Soils. Chapter 24 in T.A. Warner, M.D. Nellis and G.M. Foody (eds.), Handbook of Remote Sensing. London, UK: Sage. pp. 341-354.
- Campbell, J. B. 2005. Visual Interpretation of Aerial Imagery. Chapter 10 in Remote Sensing for GIS Managers. (S. Aronoff, ed.) Redlands, CA: ESRI Press.
- 2007 Virginia Tech’s Alumni Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Academic Advising.
- 1997 Outstanding Service Medal, Remote Sensing Specialty Group, Association of American Geographers.
- 1996 Fellow Award, American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing
- 1994 Outstanding Service Award, American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing
Peer-Reviewed Articles: Remote Sensing and Image Analysis
- Parece, Tammy E., and J.B. Campbell. 2013. Comparing Urban Impervious Surface Identification Using Landsat and High Resolution Aerial Photography. Remote Sens. 5, no. 10: 4942-4960. doi:10.3390/rs5104942.
- Zheng, B., J. B. Campbell, Y. Shao, and R. H. Wynne. 2013. Broad-scale monitoring of tillage practices using sequential Landsat imagery. Soil Science Society of America Journal. Vol. 77, doi: 10.2136/sssaj2013.03.0108
- Zheng, B., J. B. Campbell, G. Serbin, and C. Daughtry. 2013. A validation of the minNDTI strategy in the United States. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation. Vol. 68, pp. 120-131. doi:10.2489/68.2.120.
- Zheng, B., J. B. Campbell, and K. M. de Beurs. 2012. Remote sensing of crop residue cover using multi-temporal Landsat imagery. Remote Sensing of Environment. Vol. 117, pp. 177-183. doi:10.1016/j.rse.2011.09.016.
- Gibson, G. R., J. B. Campbell, and R. H. Wynne. 2012. Three Decades of War and Food Insecurity in Iraq. Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing. Vol. 78, pp. 885-895.
- Pantaleoni, E., R. H. Wynne, J. M. Galbraith, and J. B. Campbell. 2009. A logit model for predicting wetland location using ASTER and GIS. International Journal of Remote Sensing 30 (9):2215-2236.
- Pantaleoni, E., R. H. Wynne, J. M. Galbraith, and J. B. Campbell. 2009. Mapping wetlands using ASTER data: A comparison between classification trees and logistic regression. International Journal of Remote Sensing 30 (13):3423-3440
- Campbell, J.B. 2008. Origins of aerial photographic interpretation, U.S. Army, 1916-1918. Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing. Vol. 74, pp. 77- 93.
- Luebbering, C., L. W. Carstensen, J. B. Campbell, and L. S. Grossman. 2008. Expanding size and resolution for viewing geospatial data: A user Study with Multiple High-Resolution Displays. Cartography and Geographic Information Science. Vol. 35, pp. pp.203-209.
- Budreski, K.A., R.H. Wynne, J.O. Browder, and J.B. Campbell. 2007. Comparison of segment and pixel-based land cover classification in the Brazilian Amazon using multitemporal Landsat TM/ETM+ imagery. Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing. Vol. 73, pp. 813-827.
- Campbell, J.B. 2007. GloVis as a resource for teaching geographic content and concepts. Journal of Geography. Vol. 106 (6), pp. 239-251.
- Campbell, J.B., and J.O. Browder 1995. Field data collection for remote sensing analysis: SPOT Data, Rondonia, Brazil. International Journal of Remote Sensing. Vol.16, pp. 333-350.
- Campbell, J. B., and L. Ran. CHROM: A C program to evaluate the application of the dark object subtraction technique to digital remote sensing data. Computers and Geosciences. Vol. 19, pp. 1475- 1499.
- Carstensen, L. W., and J.B. Campbell. 1991. Desktop scanning for cartographic digitization and spatial analysis. Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing. Vol. 57, pp. 1437-1446.
- Zhang, M. C., R. M. Haralick, and J. B. Campbell. 1990. Multispectral image context classification using stochastic relaxation." IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics. Vol. 20, pp. 128-140.
- Haralick, R. M., J.B. Campbell, and S. Wang. 1985. Automatic Inference of Elevation and Drainage Models From a Satellite Image. IEEE Proceedings. Vol. 73, pp. 1040-1053.
- Haralick, R. M, S. Wang, L. G. Shapiro, and J. B. Campbell. 1985. Extraction of drainage networks by the consistent labeling technique. Remote Sensing of Environment. Vol. 18, pp. 163-175.
- Wang, S., R. M. Haralick, and J. B. Campbell. 1984. Relative elevation determination from Landsat imagery. Photogrammetria. Vol. 39, pp. 193-215.
- Campbell, J. B. 1981. Spatial correlation effects upon accuracy of supervised classification of land cover. Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing. Vol. 47, pp. 355-363.
- Campbell, J. B. 1974. A geographical analysis of image interpretation methods. Professional Geographer. Vol. 30, pp. 264-269.
- Morain, S. A., and J. B. Campbell. 1974. Radar theory applied to reconnaissance soil surveys. Soil Science Society of America Proceedings. Vol. 38, pp. 818-826.
Peer-Reviewed Articles: Soils, Geomorphology, Vegetation, & Landscape Analysis
- White, Justin, Y. Shao, L. M. Kennedy, and J. B. Campbell. 2013. Landscape Dynamics on the Island of La Gonave, Haiti, 1990–2010. Land. Vol. 2, pp. 493-507. doi:10.3390/land2030493
- McManamay, Rachel, L. Resler, J. B. Campbell, and R. McManamay. 2011. Assessing the Impacts of Balsam Woolly adelgid and Anthropogenic Disturbance on the Stand Structure and Mortality of Fraser Fir in the Black Mountains, North Carolina. Castanea. Vol. 76, pp. 1-79.
- Stine, Melanie, L. Resler, and J. B. Campbell. 2011. Vegetation and Soil Patterns of a Southern Appalachian Mountain Wetland Ecotone. Catena. Vol. 86, pp. 57-65.
- Gibson, Glen, J. B. Campbell, and L. M. Kennedy. 2009. Fifty-one years of shoreline change at Little Lagoon, Alabama. Southeastern Geographer. Vol.49, pp. 67-83.
- Bhuta, A.A., Kennedy, L.M., Copenheaver, C.A., Sheridan, P.M., and Campbell, J.B. 2008. Boundary-line growth patterns to determine disturbance history of remnant longleaf pine (Pinus palustris L.) in mixed forests of southeastern Virginia. The Journal of the Torrey Botanical Society. 135(4):516-529.
- Zacharais, S., C.D. Heatwole, and J.B. Campbell. 1997. Spatial Trends in Texture, Moisture, and pH of a Virginia Coastal Plain Soil. Transactions of the ASAE. Vol. 40, pp. 1277-1284.
- Cooke, R. A., S. Mostaghimi, and J.B. Campbell. 1993. Optimal Interpolation of Steady State Infiltrability. Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers. Vol. 36, pp. 1333-1341.
- Edmonds, W. J., J.B. Campbell, and M. Lentner. 1985. Taxonomic Variation within Three Soil Mapping Units in Virginia. Soil Science Society of America Journal. Vol. 49, pp. 394-401.
- Edmonds, W. J., and J. B. Campbell. 1984. Spatial Estimates of Soil Temperature. Soil Science. Vol. 138, pp. 203-208.
- Campbell, J. B., and W. J. Edmonds. 1984. The Missing Geographic Dimension to Soil Taxonomy. Annals of the Association of American Geographers. Vol. 74, pp. 83-97.
- Campbell, J.B. Spatial Variability of Soils. 1979. Annals of the Association of American Geographers. Vol. 69, pp. 544-556.
- Campbell, J. B. 1978. Spatial Variation of Sand Content and pH Within Single Contiguous Delineations of Two Soil Mapping Units. Soil Society of America Science Journal. Vol. 42, pp. 460-464.
- Campbell, J. B. Locating Boundaries between Mapping Units. 1978. Mathematical Geology. Vol. 10, pp. 289-299.
- Campbell, J. B. Variation of Selected Properties across a Soil Boundary. 1977. Soil Science Society of America Journal. Vol. 41, pp. 578-582.
- 115 Major Williams Hall