· The department houses the only B.S. Meteorology degree in the state of Virginia along with the B.A. and M.S. in Geography and is a major participant in the interdisciplinary Ph.D. in Geospatial and Environmental Analysis.
· We are a leader in geospatial technology on campus offering multiple courses available to students from across campus.
· Seven undergraduates inductees into the prestigious Phi Beta Kappa honor society in 2018 and 2019.
· GEOG 1014 World Regions is one of the most popular courses offered at Virginia Tech.
· Students regularly attend and present at regional and national conferences.
· Students internships and employment at places like: NASA, Smithsonian, National Weather Service, National Park Service, and ESRI (a leading geospatial company).
· Faculty successfully compete for research funding from agencies including: National Science Foundation, NIH, and National Geographic.
· The department maintains the High Elevation Mountain Mesonet, a constellation of eight solar powered weather stations located in Central/Southern Appalachia.