· 1970: First Geography faculty hired at Virginia Tech.
· 1972: Proposal for a new Geography undergraduate degree to be housed in Political Science.
· 1975: Gained departmental status as the Department of Geography under founding chair Dr. Charles Good and launched the B.A. in Geography.
· 1977: Launch of M.S. in Geography.
· 2004: Department moved from the dissolved College of Arts and Sciences to the College of Natural Resources (renamed College of Natural Resources and Environment in 2010)..
· 2004: Following retirements, a low point of five faculty (four tenure track, one instructor).
· 2004 – present: growing enrollments and increase to 18 faculty.
· 2006: Launch of the Ph.D. in Geospatial and Environmental Analysis (GEA Ph.D.).
· 2012: Launch of the B.S. in Meteorology.
· Present: 18 faculty, 250 undergraduate majors, ~20 M.S. students, ~ 15 Ph.D. students.